Chronic and Acute Pain
The treatment of chronic and acute pain is imperative to revitalizing your productivity, achieving your activities of daily living, and enjoying your social lifestyle. Optimal treatment may involve the use of medications that possess pain-relieving properties such as: antidepressants, anticonvulsants, anti-arrhythmics, anesthetics, antiviral, and NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) antagonists. At Olive Tree Compounding Pharmacy, our Pharmacists combine various ingredients that alter the sensation of pain through different mechanisms of action.
the common pain
- Nociceptive - represents the normal response to noxious insult or injury of tissues such as skin, muscles, visceral organs, joints, tendons, or bones.
- Neuropathic - pain initiated or caused by a primary lesion or disease in the somatosensory nervous system.
- Inflammatory - a result of activation and sensitization of the nociceptive pain pathway by a variety of mediators released at a site of tissue inflammation.
Broadly categorized as: mild, moderate and severe. It is common to use a numeric scale to rate pain intensity where 0 = no pain and 10 is the worst pain imaginable.
- Mild: <4/10
- Moderate: 5/10 to 6/10
- Severe: >7/10
- Acute pain: pain of less than 3 to 6 months duration
- Chronic pain: pain lasting for more than 3-6 months, or persisting beyond the course of an acute disease, or after tissue healing is complete.
- Acute-on-chronic pain: acute pain flare superimposed on underlying chronic pain.
our topical preparations
At Olive Tree Compounding Pharmacy, our Pharmacists compound highly specialized pain medications in the form of transdermal and topical creams and gels, so that you can achieve rapid, successful, localized treatment.